Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A Funny Thing Always Happens

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

Settled back at home.  I spent yesterday power washing the SUV and the trailer.  They were filthy from the rains on the way home.   Being a Sunday when we arrived we weren't sure we could get into the road.  Did I already mention this?  Well, worth mentioning again because it's good to have an rv.  We couldn't get down our road so we napped at a local supermarket with the electric blanket on.   Warning to Marina and David, this weekend will be cold at night.  We have all you need to keep warm but be prepared.  In other words, it's cold at least for us.

Today I did some chores around the house and updated my work calendar.   Got another convention speak for February with the British Embassy.   I will also be doing time in Texas and some may include taking the rv with because of the amount of days I will spend there.

So the funny thing that always happens.   When you meet rvers for the first time in Mexico, they don't necessarily know you.   I say this because an ex-rver is returning to Mexico but not as an rver.  It will be interesting to hear what they say.  Why do I say that?  Imagine traveling in Mexico and listening to people tell you their stories when you have spent a lifetime here or say 10 to 20 years traveling the country.   You want to say things like; yes, I know that,  I know the rules thanks for reminding me, no that's not really true it's a myth, who told you that?, that's not what they say in Spanish, and the list goes on.  I guess I see the person being a good listener and musing about their past travels here while someone tells them the glories or war stories they supposedly have experienced.   I've found over time that the older you get the more you seem to exaggerate.

I've said before, an rv park is so much more different than actually living day to day in another country.  It's not meant to be one uppish at all but really true.   Retired and hitting the mercado, or a restaurant doesn't mean that's life in Mexico especially when the rv parks are generally out of sight of the big cities where daily life, like in rural areas, really takes place.   How do you pay taxes? In Mexico it is truly a modern high tech system.   How do you pay bills?   Well, again, everything is online or you go to your local OXXO.  Forget banks, they are passe.   I can't wait to hear this person's experience.

As I made my rounds today I stopped by the local HEB.   It is Tuesday or Dia de Mercado in most parts of Mexico and that includes supermarkets.  All the fresh produce is out and on sale.   I kept running into a woman who seemed to be in a hurry.  We met up at the panaderia (all places that end in "ria" are pronounced reeh ah) and she came up with her bread after me and I said that she could go ahead because I was in no hurry.  She thanked me and told me how she was running around like a chicken with its head cut off.   I said that I was on vacation.  

She said, "oh, you'll love Monterrey, it's a beautiful city".   I only agreed with her and left with a big smile on my face.


4 comments:

  1. This is our first time renting a place in Mexico instead of driving our RV.... and this is our first time staying in Lo de Marcos... SO... we often hear stories... advice etc... from folks assuming we're total newbies. Heck... may as well listen... we never know when that will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being newbies here in San Miguel, we are very thankful for all the help and open armed generosity we have received from both Mexicans and Expats alike. This is our first winter in this beautiful country, and certainly won't be our last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checking your blog Peter, it looks like you guys are really getting around SMA. We love it there and finding something to do or see isn't hard. I hope you've had time to try the outdoor cafes on San Antonio almost across the street from the gas station. There are two that are together and the breakfasts are excellent and inexpensive. Have you gone to the Canadian bakery? They have the best multigrain loaf. Have fun. I`m a bit jealous. Tuesday market?

      Delete
    2. Tueday market next week... We will check out your recommendations. Thanks.

      Delete