Monday, December 5, 2011

Freezing In Chihuahua


I set the alarm for 3 a.m. this morning so I would get to the airport on time.  I woke up 15 minutes before and started the coffee.  The water in the water heater was still hot from the previous day so I didn't have to turn it on.  Got to the airport right at 5 a.m.  I had problems with my bag.  VivaLight doesn't charge extra for a carry on bag as long as it weighs less than 10 kilos.  When I went through the first inspection they put a plastic tie wrap on my bag so I couldn't open it.  I got to the scale on the way to the metal detector and the guy said my bag weighed 13.6.   I tried to explain to the d-bag that my winter coat was inside but he didn't want to listen.  He said I would have to check it and pay an after-the-fact fee of 500 pesos.  B.S.!  I attempted to break the tie wrap to no avail and finally I just walked away.  I'm to old for that cr--.   I passed through the metal detector and the security officer said he needed to inspect my bag.  So he broke the tie wrap.  I asked him, "So what good is it to put a tie wrap on a carry on bag if you're going to break it?"  He said, "yeah, right!"  Oh brother.

The flight was actually very good, they have excellent coffee but you pay as you go.  10 pesos but a huge cup like at Starbuck's.  It was funny though, we landed and got to the gate and the pilot said it would be a few more minutes before they could open the door.  We arrived too early! 

He also said, "it is -5C".  Ouch.  Good thing I checked the weather first, snow is on the way nearby in the mountains.

I got to the hotel where the event will be tomorrow (Tuesday).  Economical but very nice and excellent food in the restaurant.   I tried to take a nap but the heater wasn't working and at 9 a.m. it was still ice cold.   I went to the front desk and asked for a repair job on the heater while I went to the mall.  I had to pay my taxes and do some Christmas shopping.  This is too funny though.   I walked into the mall and there was a woman behind a kiosk that said "mosuleums and cemetery lots ".   She looked like the old woman from BeetleJuice and she kept smiling at me as I went by.   I was in the mall for about three hours including the trip to the bank and that woman was there everytime I turned around.  On my way out of the mall, she was waiting for me, she never said a word but just smiled and smiled.  Made me wonder, does she know something I don't?   Too creepy!

I have received instructions from Monterrey to buy some good Chihuahua rib eye and some coyotas to bring home.   Will do.

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget the Pancho Villa Museum is there. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrr. Better make your next trip south!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -5C, muy frio! Hope they are paying you enough.

    ReplyDelete