Saturday, October 16, 2010

Taking Risks


living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

This week I had the opportunity to work out of town. For three days I drove to Sabinas Hidalgo which is located between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey. What a wonderful three days. We are entering my favorite time of year, the weather is cooling off, the rains are passing and it's nothing but clear skies.

Everyday I would take off on this 2 hour trip north. Once I left the north side of Monterrey and entered the autopista, my mood changed completely. I was no longer worried, I felt free and sense of euphoria. The hills are so green and to see the desert floor filled with mesquite, yucca and cactus. The two mountain passes that take you from Monterrey north are breathtaking this time of year.

The day before I left, there was an attempt on the town's mayor. People said to be careful and watchout. I danced and sang in the car, I stopped and picked up a coffee and a sandwich, and in each town I stopped in people were living their lives regardless of what was happening. Sure they watch their backs more closely but to see people on horseback riding by the OXXO and Pemex and people waving and saying hello. That's what it is all about for me.

When I arrived the first day I had instructions to report to a particular office. I went in and no one knew anything about my project. But they didn't blow me off either. They took me around practically by the hand asking where, how and when. They got me connected and they all knew each other.

My second day upon arrival, I found a package on my desk with homemade empanadas de calabaza, coffee, and all the equipment and air conditioning up and running. Day two they brought me a kilo of local avocados, the kind that you eat with the skin on. They told me to bring my rv next time and they would make accommodations for me to park in a secure area with electricity, water and access to wifi.

What a terrific place. Teachers came from small towns nearby and surprised that I had already rved to their towns and knew some of the colorful locals. They were happy that I could shrug off the dark and blackened attitude that many people have today and their fear of getting out and traveling. Of course they warned me of what to look out for and to not be out late at night especially on the highway.

We are ready to get back on the road and I have received many discreet emails asking where to go and what to look out for. These next couple of months will be a test and we will see what happens. We need to live our lives and make the best of it. Go for the gusto.




1 comment:

  1. Good to hear that news! Please keep us up to date on the happenings there. We are hoping to come through that area some time near the end of November.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete