Tuesday, May 25, 2010

It Was A Close One

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

I'm here on the west coast in Ciudad Obregon for the week. I was at the TEC de Monterrey Obregon campus and left my cell phone in my coworker's car. We weren't gone long but when we got ready to leave I got in the car, grabbed my cellphone and saw six consecutive calls from Juan. I knew something had happened.

I called right away and he was standing on the highway, quite nervous and the first words out of his mouth were, "I'm okay". My knees buckled and a million things raced through my head. He went on to say that a car had cut him off on the highway, both cars totaled and four people rushed to the hospital. I thought this was a nightmare in the making.

He started talking about going to jail and waiting for the federal police to show up. I felt completely helpless as I am in Obregon and the flights are few and far between and I would have to wait until the morning to try and get on a 10 a.m. flight that is almost always full. How would we get the money out of the bank to pay the bail, get a lawyer, etc.

The hours passed and we texted back and forth, a few impatient calls on my part. The last one was, "they are taking me downtown to charge me". He went downtown to the federales police station. The others were released from the hospital and had to appear to show they were okay.

In the end, no charges were filed, both cars totaled but the saving grace is no one was hurt badly. Some bumps and bruises.

It's 5:30 in the morning and the sun is up and out on the west coast. As I look out the window of my hotel room I can see what a beautiful day it is going to be.

5 comments:

  1. Praise God that everyone and everything is going to be alright. You are right, that was a close one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuff like this always seems to happen at the most inopportune times! We are happy Juan is OK and did not have to go to jail! It must have shaken him up though. Give him our best when you talk to him.

    Now you have to search for a new car AND trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew! That was close. I'm glad Juan is OK and that no one was seriously hurt. Shame about the car but I know you now feel just how unimportant that is. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that Juan is all right and not heading to jail. Hugs to both of you !!

    Nancy Crawford

    ReplyDelete
  5. I join the list of passing on my best wishes to Juan and hope all turns out well...knowing what a sense of humor he has and knowing him he would have been dancing like crazy in his cell, good memoried of News Years eve!!! Les

    ReplyDelete