Monday, June 1, 2009

To Tampico And Back


I haven't posted in a week now. For some reason, I just stopped using the internet. I guess I had abused it and got a bit tired of being tied to my laptop and my email. Also, I have been on an intensive search for a small four-banger to use for errands and around town. I have seen some nice stuff and some real junk. My limit is a 2007 or 2008, Volkswagen, Nissan or Peugot. The search continues and today I found another good possibility and will have the diagnostic run tomorrow at the dealer.

So last Saturday I went to Tampico for a regional teacher's convention. I gave one talk in the afternoon but it was a long day as I went in the morning and returned at night. The commuter flights here in Mexico aren't as abundant and frequent as they used to be. Aerolitoral was absorbed by it's parent comany Aeromexico and MexConnect was born from that. All MexConnect flights are Embraer 145s which carry 50 passengers. I left at 10:20 in the morning and arrived back home to the house at midnight. Because of the lack of flights to smaller cities, I had to fly to Mexico City at 7:30 p.m. and then on to Monterrey.

Very few people were on the plane.

I got my favorite seat up front by the cockpit. More to see and do from there and excuse to walk the length of the plane to go to the bathroom. From here I can see what the pilots are doing, say hello and talk with the flight attendant during takeoff and landing. Plus I always get served first!
Although Tampico is a well-known city, their airport is very small. They have a couple flights from the U.S.


Airstrip can handle 737s.

The event in Tampico was the Regional Mextesol (TESOL Mexico). It was a good sized group and in the talk I had about 75 teachers. Here they are listening to my introduction given by one of the Mextesol committee members.

As I said earlier, I had to fly back home via Mexico. I had the great fortune of flying there with my friend and co-worker Andreina. She lives in Mexico City so we had drinks on the plane and we each went our way.



During takeoff from Monterrey I was able to get a shot of about 1/6 of the enormous metropolis.


I didn't get a picture, but I can tell you the lunch I had was fantastic. We went out for seafood and I ate cameron. Delicious.

When I got home I was able to catch the last five minutes of SNL before hitting the hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment